I guess all good things must come to an end, although I wasn't expecting the season to end so quickly!  The weatherman is predicting a freeze this Wednesday evening, so I have been  madly trying to get everything I can out of the gardens.  This coincides with your last share day this Thursday, so it's okay. 

There are bucket-loads of all of the peppers and eggplants for you, so why not take advantage of the bounty and use some of the recipes that I have been posting to preserve the harvest.  The roasted pepper ketchup is delicious, and quite easy to make.  If you want to make quick work of roasting or blackening all those peppers, just throw them on the grill to char them and then place in a paper bag to steam for a bit.  Then just pop them in a freezer bag and freeze for later use.  The peels will come off easily when you remove them from the freezer and run under cold water...just like tomatoes do. 

Other items in your share are kale, cucumbers, winter squash, carrots, tomatoes and hopefully some herbs, if I can get to them before the freeze.

It is my hope that you have enjoyed eating from my gardens this past season.  I am always eager to hear any of your comments or suggestions on possible ways to make next year's CSA and gardens even better.  It has been such a rewarding experience for me to visit with you these last 16 weeks.

Barbara and I will be busy over the next month cleaning out the beds, planting green manure crops, and putting the garden to sleep for the winter.  Planning crop rotations, studying seed catalogs and seed starting for next years garden will begin in late February.  I will also be experimenting with growing a few winter crops in the greenhouse.  I will let you know my progress with this new endeavor.  It is my hope that sometime down the road I will be able to offer a winter share with greens, herbs, and some root vegetables.  Wouldn't that be great?  We'll see how it goes.

The information on next years CSA will be sent out sometime after the beginning of the year.  Those of you who were members of this years share program will have first dibs on memberships for the new season.  I am hoping to increase the number of participants next season. 

I wish you all a bountiful winter and holiday season, blessed with good food, a warm cozy home, and wonderful family and friends.  See you next year....if not sooner! 

Keep in touch...I would love to hear from you.

Garden Blessings,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment