Week 9 - August 16



Week 9 – August 16th

As I sit in front of my computer, wondering what to say to you as we approach the second half of this seasons share program, I am amazed at how fast the time has gone by. Can you believe that the fair is here and we are already mid way through summer? The progress of the gardens through all of the weather challenges has been nothing short of miraculous in the amount of food that it has generated.  As I only see you when you come on your pick up day I am hoping that you are happy with your CSA subscription and enjoying the selection of fresh food that is coming your way each week. I always enjoy visiting with you on pick up days!  It would be great if we could all get together sometime during this season for a pot luck.  I know that  you have not all met one another.  We are certainly  a diverse group and I feel we are forming a little community of like minds here.  Would you be interested in coming to a pot luck on a Saturday or Sunday sometime this fall?  Let me know so  I can start planning?

We are continuing to succession plant certain crops so that we have a continual harvest for you.  The last planting of lettuce and spinach didn’t do too well.  They just couldn’t survive in the 100 degree heat even though they were under shade cloth.  We will try again when it cools down…maybe this week. The tomatoes, peppers and eggplants love this hot weather. There will be ample amounts in your basket this week, along with chard, beets, broccoli, cucumbers and of course, summer squash.  I hope you are experimenting with the recipes that I have included in the blogs.  If you have favorite ones that you would like to share, please send them to me and I will include them in the next blog. 

Kate's Garden was featured along with Danley Farms in an article on CSA's in the Billings Business publication.  It's a great article and I am honored to be recognized as a local producer of farm to table food.
Here is the link to the article.
Community Supported Agriculture 
http://billingsgazette.com/business/features/community-supported-agriculture-puts-farmers-in-touch-with-their-customers/article_992c6b2f-b881-57f3-98b9-ed58511a73c1.html

Please remember to bring your shopping bags or boxes with you to carry your produce home.  If you are sending someone to pick up your share, tell them to do the same.  I do not have extra boxes and bags for you.  If you wish to purchase a tub or wooden crate, they are available for a $10 which is refundable when they are returned at the end of the season.  You can also return the plastic containers that I am using for your tomatoes so that I can use them again.

The fruit and herbal vinegars that I have been making from this year’s harvest are almost ready to be bottled.  They will be available for purchase if any of you are interested.  They make great gifts, (think about the upcoming holidays) and will keep for a couple of years without refrigeration.  I use them all the time… not only in dressings for salad, but also to splash over fresh steamed or roasted veggies, or added to pasta.  You are only limited by your imagination!

It looks like it is going to cool down for a couple of days.  Won’t that be wonderful...and have you noticed that it is cooling down in the evenings?  It has made it much  easier to sleep! 

See you on Thursday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment