Kate’s Garden & CSA – Newsletter – Week 11, August 30, 2012



Lots going on in the gardens these last 2 weeks.  I don’t remember ever gardening in heat like we have had this season. My pump is running most of the time just trying to keep everything watered!  If this is the way it is going to be in the coming years, I believe those of us who are providing food for the local communities are going to face new challenges for more effective ways to conserve water and address the increase of insects and bacteria that are cropping up in some of our soils.  I know that here in my gardens I water with overhead sprinklers because I pump water from the irrigation ditch.  This increases the potential for fungus which will grow on the big leaves of cucumbers, beans, squash and tomatoes.  It seems that many gardens in the area have been affected by “powdery mildew”.  This is the first year that I have experience it in my garden and we have it now in the community garden.  Spraying with Neem Oil can knock it down, but it is not always affective, especially when we have to water so much in this heat.  This will definitely affect the yields this year for these crops.

Did I mention that I was consulting on the Whitetail Park Community Gardens here in the Heights on Sioux Lane?  It is a pilot project for the Housing Authority’s low income properties.  We have had a great year, and just last Saturday we had “Music in the Gardens”.  The activity brought awareness to the garden and it was fun to see the interest of those living in the neighborhood.  The young children painted rocks to place in their garden plots and there was good food and chatter! Hopefully these community gardens will be a new focus in the coming years for these types of housing projects.

This weeks share will provide you with an abundance of food…and I don’t want to hear any whining about “what am I going to do with all of these squash and cucumbers”!!! ;--))) With the cost of food certainly on the rise with the national weather challenges and crop loss, I think you need to consider freezing and canning all of those extra veggies.  I would be more than happy to teach you how!  It’s called sustainability, and self sufficiency!  Your basket will have lettuce, beans, broccoli, pattypan and zucchini squash, radish, beets, tomatoes and cucumbers.

I have lots of canning books here if you would like to peruse recipes.  I have already given you several pickle recipes to try, so I hope you are taking advantage of the cucumbers you are receiving.  I always have extras that I sell to the Fieldhouse Café and Good Earth Market, but I can certainly save some for you.  It’s salsa making time, too.  If you want tomatoes to can, let me know.

Remember to recycle those clam shells and baskets that I am sending you home with.  Bring them, along with your box or cooler on your share day.  See you on Thursday….2-6 PM. Please let me know if you are not coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment